The name is archaic, meaning either "cradle" or "life" in an extinct and forgotten language. It consists of various continents and islands, including Faerûn, Kara-Tur and Zakhara in the central supercontinent and, throughout most of its history, Anchorome, Maztica and Katashaka in the western supercontinent. There is also one large and very mysterious continent east of Kara-Tur called Osse whose nature and inhabitants are all but unknown.
Faerûn has trade links with Shou Lung in Kara-Tur, a sea route between some areas of the south and northern Zakhara, and a colony in Maztica where local resources were taken to be sent back to Amn and Waterdeep prior to the Spellplague.
Continents[edit | edit source]
- Faerûn: By far the most detailed continent of the world and arguably the most interesting.
- Zakhara: A mostly hot, arid realm dominated by elemental forces and a philosophy of Fate and Honour.
- Kara-Tur: The exotic east, steeped in ancient history like a fine tea.
- Maztica: Primitive cultures bound by duty to their gods give blood sacrifices in return for power while those who disagree with the practice struggle to survive.
- Anchorome: Hardly explored, seemingly populated with violent elves and more of the humans found in Maztica.
- Katashaka: South of what was Maztica. Unexplored.
- Osse: Populated by spiritalists and druids, the spirit world and nature dominate the lives of its inhabitants.