A Curse is a powerful, negative magical effect. A curse is hard to remove. Only a handful of specialized spells can hope to remove even a weak curse. A more powerful curse needs great power to remove, if it's possible at all.
A curse, by itself, is not evil. Curses are often used as punishments or handicaps, by everyone, regardless of alignment.
Types of Curses
- Spell Curses-The simplest and most basic curse is the one created by the spell bestow curse. Other common spell curses are bestow greater curse, curse water, geas/quest, and lesser geas.
- Item Curses-Any mundane or magical item can fall under a curse, and pass that curse unto others that possess the item. Often this type of item is created as a trap by an individual, an accident, or the decay of time.
- Family Curses-This type of curse often starts off as one of the other types, but changes over time to effect the whole family of the individual cursed. In some rare cases a powerful curse can be put on a whole family.
- Undead-The existence of undead is a curse on life.
- Divine Curses-This type of curse is inflicted on a person, place or thing in accord with a gods ethos. They are always powerful and often spectacular.
- Unknowable Curses-This is the final catch all category for the wild and very powerful curses.
Spells of the Curse subschool, unlike most spells, are permanent effects that cannot be dispelled through such means as dispel magic. Instead, they must be broken with remove curse, a specific reversal spell, or a similar means of overcoming the curse. Occasionally, spells of the Curse subschool have alternative means of removal, though these vary from case to case and are annotated in each spell's description.
Despite their permanent durations, some spells of the Curse subschool do not have immediate effect, instead requiring a specific set of circumstances to come about before the spell takes effect. Most spells have these set actions delineated in them specifically, but some more powerful curses allow the caster to set the required action at the time of casting.
baleful polymorph, bestow curse, binding, blindness/deafness, cause fear, contagion, doom, dominate animal, dominate monster, dominate person, energy drain, enervation, feeblemind, flesh to stone, geas/quest, geas, lesser, imprisonment, insanity, magic jar, mark of justice, rage, sequester, soul bind, temporal stasis, trap the soul, unholy blight.